Today's date is: May 22, 2018
PAB Site
PAB Home About the PABStaff DecisionsGAOLOC Annual Report Guides to Practice• Employment Law• Labor-Management Relations PAB Regulations EEO Oversight Contact PAB Directions to PAB
About PAB/OGC Charges/Filing Prohibited Personnel Practices Discrimination Hatch Act Unfair Labor Practices Union Representation Proceedings Forms Contact PAB/OGC Privacy
Guidelines Pamphlet

Filing an Adverse Action Charge

    Who May File

    A current or former GAO officer or employee may file a charge arising out of an adverse action taken against him or her. Adverse actions include removal, suspension for more than 14 days, reduction in grade or pay, or furlough of not more than 30 days. These may be performance-based or misconduct actions.

    When to File

    The employee must file a charge arising out of an adverse action within thirty days after the effective date of the action. An employee may file a charge relating to a continuing violation at any time.

    How to File

    A charge may be filed in person, or by mail at the address below:

    PAB Office of General Counsel
    U.S. Government Accountability Office
    441 G Street, N.W.
    Room 1562
    Washington, D.C. 20548

    What to File

    A charge must be filed in writing with PAB/OGC. A charge may be submitted in any written form (letter, memorandum, etc.). However, to ensure that the charge contains sufficient information, we strongly suggest that charges be filed using the PAB Office of General Counsel Charge Form. You may obtain this form by clicking on the link, by calling (202) 512-7507, or by emailing

    For further information on procedures after a charge is filed with the PAB/OGC, see What Happens After a Charge is Filed?