A “personnel action” is specific term of art that is defined by 5 U.S.C. § 2302(a)(2).
The following are listed as personnel actions:
- An appointment;
- A promotion;
- A removal, suspension, demotion or other disciplinary or corrective action;
- A detail, transfer or reassignment;
- A reinstatement;
- A restoration;
- A reemployment;
- A performance evaluation;
- A decision concerning pay, benefits, or awards that may reasonably be expected to lead to an appointment, promotion, or performance evaluation;
- A decision concerning education and training if the education or training may reasonably be expected to lead to other described personnel actions;
- A decision to order a psychiatric test or examination;
- Any other significant change in duties, responsibilities, or working conditions.